Old 16-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Oz

Default Only 10 percent of big ocean fish remain

Thomas Palm writes
Oz wrote:

To be honest the problem has been well aired by marine scientists for
decades. I don't think eco-green groups consider it much of a
moneyspinner.

I don't know where you live,

UK

but here in Sweden it has been a big
issue for many years among our major environmental groups and there
has at least been some effect on what kind of fish people buy.

Compared to pretty well all other envrio activities (banning foxhunting,
GM, radioactivity, fuel, CO2 etc etc) it's barely had a mention.

There is little consumer activity (maybe dolphin-friendly tuna: a bit).

Which is a pity because it's one area where consumer power could have a
dramatic effect.

Personally I see little alternative but to **totally** ban net fishing
in EU waters for a decade or so. I can't see this happening.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.