Old 16-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Jonathan Ward

Default Self seeding vegatables ??

In article ,
says...

"eddy" wrote in message ...
is this a viable option ?
leeks ,peas, etc ?

Not self seeding as such but you can save seed of those veg and most others
to plant the next season. We keep our own seed of three varieties of Pea,
Runner Beans and Carrots.
The problem comes if the variety you first buy is an F1, this seed is
produced every time by a first cross between two distinct varieties so it's
first generation seed of a new variety giving hybrid vigour but because it's
not had the generations to stabilise it will produce seed of mixed type,
some plants of each of the two original parents and some of various mixtures
between the two which is not good.

If you want to save seed try to avoid F1 varieties. Try Thomas Etty Esq who
sell seed of heritage varieties none of which will be F1.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

I thought that F1 hybrids were infertile, which is why the orange tree my son
grew from seed, which grows in greenhouse, has never flowered in 12 years. Is
this true?
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying