Old 16-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Tim

Default Would you buy these transgenic plants?

Not all the farmers have the money. Those in the developed countries
probably do but there are millions of peasant farmers who can barely
afford to feed themselves let alone afford other more expensive methods
to break out of the viscious circle.

I understand that, but that issue points more to bad funding and
corrupt regimes rather than a need for GM technology.
Even something as unsophisticated as a reliable water supply can make
all the difference in the world.
There are still practical issues that can be addressed, we haven't run
out of options.

Like the recent summit on world water development. What a sell out. Back to
big corporations and less than useless "prestige" projects.

If you'd have said 'nemetodes' to a geezer planting his spuds half
century ago, he'd have probably wondered whether to kiss you or knee
you in the nuts.

I probably would have as well :-)

Unfortunately I doubt that my deciding to maintain an organic garden
will have little impact on the world as a whole...but I have to start
somewhere!

I do my bit too. Houselhold "organic" gardeners are probably the best,
truest organic growers there are. There are alot of organic farmers where
I live (Austria), and the rightly country is proud of their "natural" (read
rustic) ways. But they have a saying which translates as : The only
difference between normal and organic farmers is that the organic farmers
spray at night.

You never know who to trust.

Tim.