Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Rats?

On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:14:53 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

Hi

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem? My concern is that I've blocked off the access to
either side and underneath the shed with trellis to discourage cats from
lurking there and I've been putting cut off branches and other prunings
into the spaces for wildlife or birds nesting etc. I just hope that I'm
not encouraging a rat colony - what do people think?

That's just typical of nature, isn't it. You provide a nice, cosy,
safe environment for nice, cosy, safe wildlife and the rats think
"wahey, I'll have a piece of this!".

Spaces beneath sheds are ideal for all sorts of beasties - proving
relative warmth, dry lodgings and protection from many predators.
You either have to ensure that the space is blocked off completely
with fine mesh that extends into the soil for about 6 inches, or you
leave it open so that cats and other predators can get in there.

Animals such as hedgehogs are not likely to be much troubled by cats
etc, and will find the space under the shed very useful.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk