Old 16-05-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Only 10 percent of big ocean fish remain

In sci.environment Oz wrote:
Thomas Palm writes
Oz wrote:

To be honest the problem has been well aired by marine scientists for
decades. I don't think eco-green groups consider it much of a
moneyspinner.

I don't know where you live,

UK

Me too.

but here in Sweden it has been a big
issue for many years among our major environmental groups and there
has at least been some effect on what kind of fish people buy.

Compared to pretty well all other envrio activities (banning foxhunting,
GM, radioactivity, fuel, CO2 etc etc) it's barely had a mention.

banning foxhunting isn't really an enviro issue: more animal welfare.
Err, but perhaps we shouldn't get into that here.
But though I agree its been relatively low-key, I've seen it mentioned
in the Grauniad and in FOE newsletters.

In fact, just yesterdays grauniad has the lead story on part 2 about this
(OK its a follow-on from the Nature report that started this thread).

There is little consumer activity (maybe dolphin-friendly tuna: a bit).

True, I think. Its one of the reasons I don't eat fish.

Which is a pity because it's one area where consumer power could have a
dramatic effect.

I guess fish aren't fluffy enough for most people.

Personally I see little alternative but to **totally** ban net fishing
in EU waters for a decade or so.

Sounds good to me.

-W.

--
William M Connolley | | http://www.nerc-bas.ac.uk/icd/wmc/
Climate Modeller, British Antarctic Survey | Disclaimer: I speak for myself