Old 16-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Druss

Default cleaning a 2nd hand glasshouse?

"shannie" wrote in message

Hi All,
Some weeks ago someone on a thread here advised someone else to put an add
up for a glasshouse as people are happy to be rid of unwanted ones
(something I never realised!) I did that last week and went today to see
one, it's 8 x 6 and just what I'd like as a starter . It's in great
condition has one pane of glass missing and needs dismantling, but hey its
free so who's complaining? However... it's absolutely filthy, been used as

storage space for a couple of years, mould on the glass etc. Can anyone
advise me on what to use to clean it when I get it home?..Jeyes fluid?
Bleach? Disinfectant? Breadsoda?

Once again, thanks for your patience.
Shan (Ireland)

Did exactly this last year, and we used jeyes fluid watered down, to clean
the glass, and the frame. However we also needed several new bolts, and new
rubber lining for the glass to sit on, we also anchored the newly moved
greenhouse using a couple of untreated railway sleepers on their edge. Gives
almost another foot of headroom, very useful against the edges and it very
very stable.

My main overriding piece of advice though would be, buy a small instant
camera with flash, and take lots of photos of the dismantaling. If you can
try to label the aluminium bit, they are all meant to be the same, so sides
are interchangable etc, however with it being second hand it might! have
been slightly twisted or bent. If you get this wrong when reassembling it
can be a right bugger to get some of the glass back in. I guess you just
want to make sure the greenhouse is perfectly square (as possible) when
reassembling.

Duncan