Old 16-05-2003, 07:32 PM
itten

Default Strange Koi Behavior

I don't feed my fish as recommended by my pond supply dealer. They eat
off the aquatic plants.
I just tested my water and I got a water hardness indication that was
high. What do I need to soften the water?

In article ,
ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

itten wrote How do I go about testing my water for ammonia?

Pet stores that sell fish should have test kits for sale. Usually with a test
tube that you put pond water in and add a few drops of testing liquid in.
You then compare the color of what shows up in the test tube to a chart.
With ponds any trace of ammonia is bad.

Goldfish can survive in ponds where koi can not.
Koi are usually the first fish to go when water conditions are not up to par.

You can also test for a number of other things, like
Ph, nitrites and/or nitrates.
Many times test kits are sold in a group.

Most pond problems are the result of overstocking the pond. Then overfeeding
those fish.

k30a