Old 16-05-2003, 10:32 PM
shannie

Default garden safety

"Rod" wrote in message

"shannie" wrote in message

A little off topic I know, but sometimes we become a little complacent

as my
brother in law did.
Yesterday morning he took it upon himself to do a 'quick' trim on some
trees, he had no helper and didn't anchor his ladder properly, he's

tucked
up in his hospital bed now with two broken legs, broken arm, fractured
collar bone, various bruises and very dented pride. Looks like his

'quick'
trim will take a little longer than he thought!

--

Sorry about your brother in law but it makes tree surgeons look like good

value doesn't it?
If you think you need a ladder you need a tree surgeon. They are equipped

and trained to work safely in trees.
Working on trees from a ladder is a bad idea for several reasons - you now

know one of them.
I didn't really want to make this sound like a lecture but I've seen so

many people needlessly hurt in this way. I know
we learn by our mistakes but you don't get too many second chances if

you're up a tree.

Rod

Doesn't sound like a lecture at all Rod, these are my sentiments exactly!
Sometimes people simply don't think things through, even the smallest task
can be dangerous if concentration or knowhow is lacking. The fork through
the wellie, the shears/secauteurs lopping off a fingernail or worse! the
mower kicking up the unseen stone, accidents happen so easily there's no
need to tempt fate by climbing a ladder and trying to do something in a
hurry when you haven't a clue what your at. His lesson is well and truely
learned and the job has to be finished by a tree surgeon now, so he didn't
save anything in the end!!

Shan