Old 16-05-2003, 10:56 PM
LeighMo

Default growing Red Lotus

LeighMo, what did you do about feeding your fish and fertilizing your plants
while you were gone? I have a 2 week trip to Europe in a couple of weeks
and I am trying to figure out what to do.

Your tank should be okay for two weeks. In the wild, fish often go that long
without food.

If I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks, I put in some extra fertilizer
in the days before. I also put some Flourish tabs in the substrate. Right
before I leave, I do a massive pruning, cutting back the plants severely.

For the fish...I try to feed them especially well the week before I leave.
They've always been fine when I get back two weeks later -- fat and sassy,
even.

I also try to do a big water change and clean the filter the day before I
leave. If you're not feeding the tank, the filter doesn't get clogged as fast,
so even if you usually clean it weekly, it will probably be okay for two
weeks. (Just make sure all the connections are tight. The last thing you want
is for a hose to work loose while you're away.)

I do a water change and a pruning as soon as I get back. The plants may be a
little pale (from lack of fertilizer), but they'll be alive. Heck, IME,
they'll be massively overgrown.

Leigh