Old 17-05-2003, 12:20 AM
kn125

Default planting mulberry

Thanks, after reading all the posts, I have decided to replant the
tree out in the easement behind our backyard, so hopefully the birds
wont become a nuisance!

2 more questions, the roots seem to go down quite a bit, ~ 2 feet down
in the ground, the root is still about .25 to .5 inch thick. It is
right next to a wall, so I can only dig from one side. Do I need to
uproot it fully for the tree to grow or can cut the plant with 2 feet
of root and replant it? Also, if I leave some of the root behind, and
fill earth back on top of it, will remaining root die out eventually?

-kn

"Wayfarer" wrote in message gy.com...
I had a mulberry in Kansas -- yes they are messy but so is any fruit tree.
The berries are sweet -- I like better than raspberries -- and the tree
produces lots! I used to make pies and they make great jelly/jam.

I wouldn't mind a tree!

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )
"kn125" wrote in message
om...
I have a tree growing very close to my house, a neighbour identified
it as a mulberry and said he wouldnt recommend replanting the tree (it
now about 4-5 feet tall and the roots have gone 2-3 ft deep). He said
it attracts lots of bugs. I have some space in my backyard and was
thinking of replanting this tree there. Has anybody had bad/good
experiences with mulberries? Also is it native to this area?

Thanks.
-kn