Old 17-05-2003, 02:08 AM
itten

Default Strange Koi Behavior

In article , ~ jan
wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2003 14:04:22 -0400, itten wrote:

I don't feed my fish as recommended by my pond supply dealer. They eat
off the aquatic plants.
I just tested my water and I got a water hardness indication that was
high. What do I need to soften the water?

Sick Fish & Sick Pond form:

Please fill out the form below and repost to rec.ponds. Answer what you
can, leave the others blank that you can't, but don't delete the questions:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

I haven't figured that out yet. My pond is seven feet long by four feet wide

by sixteen inches deep. It has another section two feet square and
also sixteen inches deep. I don't know how many gallons I have.

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?

City water and I treated it with Ponc Clear and something else that was

supposed to be used in fresh tap water.

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

I've had my pond up and running for about three weeks now.

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

I don't know the type. It looked like black rubber that I got from my
pond supply.

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

5 Koi, 10 guppies, 20 small feeder goldfish, 10 mosquito fish. The Koi range from about 7" down to about 4". The Koi have been in a week tomorrow.

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:
I don't feed the fish. There are plenty of aquatic plants in my pond.

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Pondmaster Magnetic Drive Utility Pump in the pond. 1800 gallons per hour.

I use a Bio-Mech 1200 Submerged Filtration System with a filter size of
15 x 15 x 8".

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:
Foam filter. I clean it weekly.

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?

Fountain and spitter.

Venturies?:

Water Temp?

PH?: Tested acceptable per my test strip today.

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l): Not tested for this.

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l): Safe level

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l): Caution indication on my test strip.

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:
No odor. It is not clear but not real cloudy either.

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):
Haven't changed the water yet.

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Did testing myself with my test kit today.

Weather (what's it been like lately?):
Rain today, otherwise fair in the 80's.

Medications used?:

No medications added to my pond.