Old 17-05-2003, 02:32 AM
animaux

Default HELP I killed my grass with weed-n-feed!!!!

Weed and Feed products are, for the most part, pre-emergent chemicals. That
means they prevent weed and any other type of seeds from germinating. It
doesn't necessarily kill grass. However, dumping chemicals on anything without
reading was not a good idea. You most likely burned the turf with way too much
fertilizer. Just mow it, keep it watered and try to learn to read.

By the way, you can kill trees with atrazine, which is in many weed and feed
products. All are junk, none help the soil biota and they don't guarantee what
the fillers are. They could use any toxic crap they want to carry the N-P-K in
the product.

All I do to my turf is water, mow, and core aerate. Maybe once a year I top
dress with compost, but I mostly do that for the trees. If you mow before weeds
go to seed, every time you do that you prevent more weeds. It can take a few
years, but it can be done.

On 16 May 2003 07:28:58 -0700, (MIchelle) wrote:

I'm a new homeowner and pretty inexperienced with gardening. At the
beginning of Spring when my lawn was overrun with dandelions and
weeds, I ran out to Kmart and bought a 50lb bag of weed n feed. I
stupidly didn't read the instructions figuring I couldn't do much hard
because it was a "feed". Well, I was definitely wrong. I "spread" it
with a cup and dumped a whole cup on areas of large weeds. Well,
needless to say, and much to my horror, have many large patches of
brown dead grass!!! It just looks horrible!

At this point, is there anything at all I can do aside from digging up
the many dead patches and re-seeding? Is there any chance that the
grass will grow there again?

Please help!

Thanks,
Michelle