Old 17-05-2003, 04:44 AM
mhagen

Default Can trees learn?

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Hi,

this is a question about a new planting of native trees into pasture
in the UK. This NG seems to be almost entirely US oriented, but
perhaps this is a widespread problem, or there are UK subscribers here
as well.

Taking advantage of a Forestry Commission grant I have planted half a
hectare of mixed oak, ash and alder with a variety of shrubs for a
graded edging consisting of hazel, hawthorn, field maple and guelder
rose. (please excuse me their latin names!) These were cell-grown
plants. Being a novice I have done everything by the book, using tree
shelters, keeping them weed-free, and so on.

In the 1st planting year (2001) there was a late frost soon after the
first leaves came out and they got hammered. This mostly affected the
ash. In the same year they had to cope with a summer drought as well.
This combination really set them back and many had to be replaced.

Last year was a good one, with a long wet summer, and nearly all the
plants made good growth. This year, a couple of nights ago, there was
another late frost which has again destroyed most of the new leaf,
hitting the ash again, and also the oak. The alder seem tougher and
the shrubs are not affected at all.

The question, finally, is: why are these native trees so susceptible
to frost? I would have expected them to be fully hardy (they were sold
as such). And I have noticed that these new plantings always come into
leaf before the established trees --including saplings-- in the
existing hedgerows around. Will these new trees ever adapt better to
their surroundings, or are they a lost cause? It's very galling
because ash grow like weeds around here (S W Wales), except for me.

Any advice or information welcomed...

Thanks

Brian Mitchell

Welcome to the group! Not being familiar with your actual site and
conditions, I'd guess that maybe you got offsite stock and had bad luck
with the weather - a common occurrance anywhere you depend on nurseries.
Try to get stock from local seed whenever possible. Usually really
off-site stuff doesn't die for several years.

There was a an active group of primarily UK foresters around a few years
ago. The association of online foresters or some such - Does anyone know
if Nick's web page still up?
Mike H.