Old 17-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Dave Allyn

Default advice needed for a beginner gardener

"Zucchini plants"??? Unless you've got a large family, enjoy the
feeling of being up to your eyeballs in zucchini, or really, really,
REALLY like zucchini, 1 or 2 is enough. I once planted four. Big
mistake. After so many zucchini salads, zucchini breads, stir-fried
zucchini, etc, I'm still recovering.

I was going to get two, but now I might be able to sqeeze in one....

Beginner mistake: A few years ago (before planting my own) I
saw a guy on the way to a farm stand with lots of zucchini in the bed
of his truck. I thought "I love Zuc!" I bought three of the biggest
ones I could find at a quarter each.. I think they were just over 2
feet in length.. took them home to my wife and said look at the
zucchini's I just got!" she was then nice enough to tell me the
differance between the young, tender, small ones, and the large,
tough, good for mostly making bread or stuffing kind...... live
and learn...

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!