Old 17-05-2003, 11:08 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Rose question

"Jayne" wrote in message
When should I expect to see some life from a newly planted bare root rose?

planted it straight after delivery about a month ago but it still just

looks
like a dead twig.

My other roses are full of buds & growing strongly.

Thanks,
Jayne

Jayne,
have you been giving it loads of water?
I bought some bare root roses from Morrisons supermarket and two of the
three looked dead(ish).
I followed the instructions to soak them in water overnight, and ended up
soaking them for over a day as well.
To my surprise they had already started showing little red shoots when I
came to plant them out (in tubs).
They seemed to stop once planted out, so I have made a point of watering
them every day and keeping the compost really moist.
They seem to like this and are all sprouting well.
HTH
Dave R

P.S. what size are the stem or stems?

With my 3 Peace roses I have found that the thinner the old wood the more
readily it shoots.
Thickness of a pencil or less - loads of activity.
10 mm diameter - reluctant sprouting
20 mm diameter - (only one) - nothing

Been meaning to post this for a few days :-)