Old 17-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Spinach and Sweet Corn

In article ,
Adrian Jones wrote:
I've just bought a tray of 6 spinach plants and a tray of 6 Early Gold sweet
corn.

I don't really have much space in the ground for vegetables, but the trays
were only 80p each so I thought what the heck, it's worth a try.

Anyway, can spinach be planted in grow bags or in pots?

Almost certainly. With spinach, the key is to never let it get
anywhere near dry. It does better in cool conditions, and weak
sunlight, or it tends to run to seed.

And what about sweet corn? I don't imagine sweet corn can be grown in grow
bags or large pots --- or can they? And can corn be grown outside in the
Manchester area or are they greenhouse plants?

I don't see why not. And they can be grown outside, just. They need
as much heat and light as you can get them, and are drought-resistant
when established (at least in the ground).

Any hints or tips from anyone who has grown spinach or corn would be greatly
appreciated.

With 6 sweetcorn plants, hand pollinate them. Shake some pollen from
the tassles at the top onto the silk of the neighbouring cobs. They
are naturally wind-pollinated, and should be grown in large blocks,
not rows. But 3x2 won't help much, hence manual intervention :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.