Old 17-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Drakanthus

Default Rats?

I once had a cat whose main purpose in life was the slaughter of rats.
When I bought a smallholding I'm sure she thought I'd bought it for her,
and when rats were in short supply she'd have the odd stoat.
Tony

She sounds a bit like the cat I bought for my father for his smallholding.
His died of old age and I went to a cat rescue shelter in search of a
replacement. There were lots of fat moggies purring and rubbing round our
legs - real "lounge lizard" types. But there was a small stripy ginger one
in a cage on its own. The centre manager said that it was a bit nasty and
didn't get on very well with the other cats - plus it had somehow caught a
bird the day before. That's the one, we said!
The cat has worked out very well. Though it occasionally curls up asleep on
a chair (god protect anyone who tries to stroke it!) it is in its element
catching vermin around the farm. I once saw it struggling, dragging a dead
rabbit up the yard twice its own size. It often leaves dead mice, rats etc
on the doorstep - presumably it thinks it is sharing its kill with its clan.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)