Old 17-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Torsten Brinch

Default Only 10 percent of big ocean fish remain

On 17 May 2003 04:37:23 -0700, (Tim Worstall) wrote:

As has been pointed out by a number of people, not limited to myself,
on this and other newsgroups, fisheries are simply the Tragedy of the
Commons writ large. Check out some of the other recent threads to see
the full arguments. But at root, that is the primary cause, not the
proximate, it is the economic structure of the industry that is at
fault. Until that is changed there will be no lasting solution.
I would also note that two countries have lasting solutions : Iceland
and Norway. And they´ve done it by making the fishermen own the fish
directly. Just as Hardin said in his original essay, one can have
either private or social solutions to the overuse of a Commons
resource. Yet at present, fisheries are still run as commons. Absurd.

I can't see why I should not take the above as an attempt, and perhaps
indefensibly so(but hard to say, no arguments are made), to simplify
a problem of considerable complexity to fit a particular agenda.