Old 17-05-2003, 01:32 PM
aquascape

Default 180g planted predator tank

I kept an 8" rhom in a planted tank before, it didnt really damage any
plants, it just sat there in the corner all day hiding behind the plants...I
have included a picture for you to see.

http://members.rogers.com/robertng/piranha10.jpg

As you can see, its split in half, left side had 3 red bellies(including a
breeding pair), the other side housed an 8" rhom. You can see the back of
it if you look closely.

Tank was a 65gallon (yes, I know the tank is too small for so much fish)

Plants included swords, java fern, apongeton, jungle vals on a sand
substrate.

My rhom ate everything, even half inch neons, it just sucked them in when it
had the chance.

I dont have the fish anymore, I thought my tank would have more potential as
a heavily planted tank housing apistos and other small tetras.

http://members.rogers.com/robertng/plantedc.jpg

its an older pic, the plants kind of grew out of control, i have to do some
aquascaping soon.

Rob

wrote in message
om...
hi
I want to create a very natural tank for my 12" Serrasalmus rhombeus
and over 100 tropical south american fish.

what I have to work with is:
180 gallon glass aquarium
14' 25w heater cable.
300w heater.
100 pounds of quartz.
3-5 gallon buckets of flourite.
2 metal halide pendants. 2-175w 15k.

the tank will be open top. with a few inch layer of water sprite
across the surface to help cut down on the brightness.

my question is...what would be the best plants to use? I know I would
like some plants that grow out of the tank that will flower and would
also like to grow some bamboo.
I am just unsure of what would work best. the piranha is fairly active
but is great at negotiating his/her surroundings.

and lastly is there anything else I should have included in the setup?

thanks!
bob