Old 17-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Re rats thread, I've found a hole in the soil

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I just found a 1-1.5 inch diameter hole in the soil of the back

border
close to where the creature I saw the other day disappeared - it

must
have been down this hole because it's a recent thing, it wasn't

there a
week or so ago AFAIK.

Is this a rat living here? I didn't know rats lived in holes in the
earth? It was a palish brown/beige colour and looked that kind of

size,
couldn't see much detail it was gone too fast, and I didn't see the
length of its tail although it was a proper tail and not a stubby

one, I
think, but I couldn't see if it was pink or furry.

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

I live in the country and we have hundreds of these holes in the grass
and sometimes in the flowerbeds. I've seen field mice run into them
and also toads seem to live in them. They don't appear to do any
harm and we've never interfered with them, i.e. tried to poison them.
The dogs sometimes give the holes a good sniffing, but have never
caught anything. I just think they are part of country living and
leave them alone. If the number of holes are anything to go by, we'd
never succeed in getting rid of them anyway!

HTH
Iris McCanna