Old 17-05-2003, 03:20 PM
pelirojaroja

Default soaking seeds...positive results

How long did you soak? I will be trying it soon, myself, and would
appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

--
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"
"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
news
From reading posts here and rec.gardens.edible I took the
recommendation of soaking seeds for 12 hours before planting them. I
also covered the gardens since I have a lot of birds living around the
house.

While those that sprouted (with the exception of bachelor buttons) are
showing a high germinaton success rate, Quite a few displayed better
than average germination times.

After four days I already saw green sprouting from radishes,
marigolds, sweet allysum, bachelor buttons, cosmos, morning glories,
poppies, silene, caladrina, lettuces & purslane. Some of these are
quick to sprout, but they all are at the fewest days said to
germinate, some below what their seed packets indicate.

After seven days, spinach, snap peas, basil are definitely out.

At nine days Calendula has just one breaking ground today. I think the
first tiny nasturtium are coming up. Some carrots sprouted (most are
slow to show though).

The no-shows germinators at ten days: petunias, violas, flamenco,
snapdragon, lavender, borage and most of the nasturtium & calendulas.
Sanvitalia, blue lace, convolvulus are not out yet after 6 days.

The violas & petunias concern me; packets say 4-7 days/6-10 days and
its been past that for both. The petunias need light and we have had
more than a week of dreary weather daily. Sun was out this morning
agiain but completely clouded over after 1 o'clock. I'll try start
more indoors and see if I have better luck.

I planted some marigolds WITHOUT soaking and unlike their soaked
cousins, they haven't sprouted after 6 days. I planted petunia both
soaked and not. It will be interesting to see which, if any show up
first.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)