Old 17-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Gardening tools

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
Does anyone know of a site that will teach me about the different types of
tools and what is best for certain jobs?

I was out weeding today and an old boy came past and made the comment that
I would be quicker and better using a hoe....

Is he right?

Depends. If your plants are in a straight row, then you can use a hoe to
slide along between the rows just below soil level cutting off all the
weed seedlings. You can do this between randomly planted plants, but
there's a greater danger of inadvertantly cutting the plants.

Disadvantages that I see in using a hoe (YMMV)

a) You have to stand up. I like jobs i can do sitting down.
b) You don't get to see all the interesting new things that have seeded
themselves, and thus miss the opportunity of acquiring for free plants
that haven't grown in your garden before or plants that you already grow
but could do with extra specimens of.
c) Takes a long time to deal with perennial weeds - you've more chance
of ridding yourself of dandelions if you dig up the roots than if you
merely hoe the tops off
d) the hoe disturbs the top layer of soil and ancourages a whole lot
more weed seeds to germinate.

I was simply on my knees using a trowl....
But I would much rather use a long handled tool as I injured my knees a
while ago and getting on my knees can be a little painful after a while....

You can buy long handled trowels - no good for standing, but could be
used sitting on a low stool, if this were any better for you.

But in your situation, it sound like a hoe would be a good idea.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: