Old 17-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Zuchinni problem

On 17 May 2003 09:03:49 -0700, (rile) wrote:

Twice over the last 10 years, a producing zuchinni plant has suddenly
died. I suspect some type of borer but am not sure. I have read many
posts concerning injection Bt into the stems. My question, can this
method be used as a pro-active strategy? Also, I have never attempted
this solution and would like all the help I can get? What is Bt, how
do I mix it, how much do I use, where do I inject the plant and how
often?

Bt is Bacillus thuringiensis -- a naturally occurring bacteria that
kills some insects. There are many strains. 'San Diego' is fairly
specific to Colo. potato beetles. I don't know if there's a specific
for squash vine borer. Bt preparations are commonly available in
garden centers, etc. -- follow package directions.

The first thing to do is identify what's actually killing your
zucchini plants. Squash vine borer is a common culprit, farily easily
identifiable. Many references come up when searching on "squash vine
borer." Various funguses, mildews, etc. could also be responsible.
IMHO, there is not much point applying remedies for diseases or pests
you don't know you have.