Old 17-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] A Talmudic Disagreement

Iris wrote:

According to the school of Rabbi Yuji Yoshimura, what we call

in English a tray
landscape is a bonkei. According to the school of Rabbi Toshio

Kawamoto, a
more-or-less permanent arrangement of trees, rocks, and

accessory plants is a
saikei (the word was coined about 30 years ago). We usually

call these in
English a tray landscape.

A Chinese penjing is something else. We usually give that name

to a
land-and-water arrangement in the style of Quing Quang Zao.

_We_ may, but Zao, in a presentation at BCI this year, and Hu
Yunha, in "Penjing: The Chinese Art of Minature Gardens" both use
the term penjing to include what we and the Japanese call
"bonsai" as well as tray landscapes with stones and -- many
times, but not in every case -- various plants as well as
figurines.

But, you can get totally lost, and thoroughly mixed up with
terminology. And don't forget the similar Vietnamese construct,
Hon Non Bo.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --