Old 17-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Beth Peace

Default Bees?

Kira Dirlik wrote:
snip
These were not wasps, that create those pancake shapes hanging in
your eaves. They were not carpenter bees that destroy your facia
boards. They were not yellow jackets because they make their hives in
the ground. Not the evil black with 2 yellow spots, who make the big
hanging basketball hives (I think). Could they be honey bees? They
seemed to be yellow and about honey bee size.

Could be honey bees. There's a man made bee hive in Bond Park just off the
trail. I first thought it was a really strange bird house (because the hole
is way too low), but after looking at it I really think it was made just for
honey bees. Here's a photo -
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/26348_400.jpg. You can see the cross bars
that go through to the other side. I'm assuming that has something to do
with helping them start combs.

I don't know how you'd evict them. I'd be tempted to just leave them be.