Old 17-05-2003, 08:08 PM
V_coerulea

Default evil kudzu.

I live in southern SC and we have kudzu. So far my propery has stayed clean.
A neighbor started to have kudzu encroach the eastern side of his property.
He enclosed the 5 acres affected and borrowed some goats from another
neighbor. They ate the kudzu back (which is quite a feat since around here
in summer it grows about a foot a day). Then he brought in some hogs which
seem to love to root out the tuberous roots. Between the goats and hogs, the
property was cleaned in just over a month for the cost of the fencing, which
he was planning to do anyway. Good luck.

"griffon" wrote in message
A family property that I have really kept up for a while has a dried
pond (catfish made it lose the water) which since last I checked has
apparently found some stray kudzu. I have never had to deal with it
before and here in zone 6b it is not as much of a problem as it is in
parts of the deep south, but itis already growing quite well in a very
sheltered location (the pond is surrounded by sassafras trees which
also overhang it to some extent) and I want to get rid of it fast.

What is my best bet for erradicating it? I was going to cut it out,
pile it on a brush pile and burn it, but I figured it would return
from the roots for sure. I have been told roundup is not very
affective against it. I have been reading up and have almost decided
to spray the area with brush-b-gone heavily, but sites say that it is
tough enough that it might die back and return from the roots several
times, depending on how established it is - I have no idea when it
started, it might have been there all of last year. I just want to
really kill it rather than just hurt it a bit. The good news is that
kudzu usually does not get to bloom and go to seed here, but we do
have late frosts sometimes, so..