Old 17-05-2003, 09:20 PM
neopolaris

Default I screwed up half my lawn early last fall

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 May 2003 14:00:22 -0400, wrote:

I live in Northern Lower Michigan. Sand country... We put in a lawn
(so-to-speak) a section at a time. Acre lot. We had a lot of dirt
brought in. I did it all with a hand shovel. At the end of last year i
did a stupid thing being a newbie. What I thought was liquid fertilizer
was Round-Up which I could have sworn was long gone from the previous
year. How long is half my yard going to be dead? There is nothing but
sparce weeds and moss growing where I sprayed. Of course it is burnt
looking and yellow. I am not sure but I don't even think the Round-Up

was
diluted. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm figuring that you used a hose end sprayer to apply the round-up?
Are you completly sure that you applied round-up?
Either way, the round-up is totally inactive at the moment. It's safe to
reseed the area.

Some tips for the furtu
1 Never store fertilizers/ chemicals unmarked!!!
2 Never use a hosse end sprayer to apply chemicals/ fertilizer.
The water pressure in the hose varies and the amount of chemical/
fertilizer applied will vary also. Furthermore, it's quite possible that
you could contaminate your own water supply via the hose end sprayer. As
the water pressure varies, it can syphon the chemicals back into the
hose and into your house/well. If you must use a hose end sprayer, use a
check valve with it. Here's some more reading on the subject:
http://www.cumberlandud.com/alert1a.htm
3 If your looking for a product that will knock down weeds but not posion
your ground, look in to horticultrual vinegar. This will knock down your
weeds and you'll be able to re-seed the next day.
Better luck to you......

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Thanks for the reply, Timothy. The product in question was delivered
through a pump sprayer. This is very embarrassing as I am a carpet cleaner
owner/operator. My stuff is labeled in the van...So do you think the same
will go as far as what you said before since it wasn't diluted much-if at
all? I am anxious to get seed down since we had a late spring.
Thanks for the low-down on the #2 of your post. It makes total sense.