Old 17-05-2003, 09:56 PM
SugarChile

Default snap pea seed poking out of the dirt??

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
I've got a lot of bird netting left over (black nylon net, holes about
large enough for my thumb). Maybe I should just staple it to two
stakes and stretch it across. The heating up of the metal cage
concerns me a little--even for my tomatoes. Hopefully they will be so
abundant the cage will disappear in all the foliage and fruits. :-)

The bird netting should work. And you are correct that the tomato cage will
disappear beneath the tomato plants.

I never thin peas; in fact I usually plant double rows. They don't mind
being crowded as long as they have something to climb.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

A third and fourth have poked out. The seed instructions said to sow
them every 1"-1.5" because they are poor germinators. Yet the packet
say 80% germination rate. It also said "Do not thin." ! ? In
Sq.Ft.Gardening Bartholemew recommends a 3" sq. spacing. I'm not sure
why they would say do not thin. The four breaking ground now are all
in 6" row together. That IS too close, right? (Sugar Sprint, Snap
Peas; 58 days) I'll wait until they are growing a bit before picking
the healthies to survive.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)