Old 17-05-2003, 11:56 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default bareroot question

Heres what I do,
I live in the moutains of southern california, and I've tried to grow citrus
trees in my yard, but they always die over the winter with temps getting
down to about 13f.

So, I plant them in containers, and put the containers in the ground, then
when winter comes I just pull up the containers and bring them into the
house and keep them under grow lights. Then the next year I check to see
that they are not root bound, if so I just replant them in bigger
containers. So far I've only had to repot them once, and these are dwarf
citrus trees by the way. I would just keep them in containers above ground
on my driveway, but it gets too hot here in the summer and they wither from
the heat since the roots get so hot.

I wonder how roses would handle this? Just a thought.

"chelatna" wrote in message
: I live in Fairbanks Alaska (zone 1, but up to 80s and 90s in the summer)
: and I just got my four J&P bareroot plants this week. Yippee!! In the
: past I've kept my roses in big pots and wintered them in my garage,
: which works OK. However, I'm starting to run out of room on my patio for
: all these pots (Ok, I'll admit to impulse buying the four roses without
: really thinking it through, but hey, is that really SO bad?) My question
: is: I have several large raised beds that I use for annuals mostly and
: I'm thinking of putting the roses in them. I'd have to dig them up in
: the fall, though. *Before* I plant them, does anyone have any
: suggestions? How would roses cope with being dug up and replanted every
: fall and spring? Would it be better just to pot them and squeeze a
: little tighter on the patio? If planting them in the beds is OK, is
: there anything I should do at the beginning to make it easier to dig in
: the fall?
: Thanks in advance!
: Kim
: