Old 18-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Wilson Lamb

Default Bees?

Seal it in a plastic bag for a few days. Open and clean.
Wilson
"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message
Hello,
As I do every few months, I opened the front of my bluebird house
to see if the flying squirrel were still a resident. The door was
bulging out more than usual from all the nesting material in there.
Instead of a little pink nose and big black eyes, I heard a steadily
increasing angry sounding BZZZZZZZ. I left.
From a safe distance I saw several insects flying in and out the
door, but I have not since observed any activity there. Too far away
to identify, but they were fairly small.
These were not wasps, that create those pancake shapes hanging in
your eaves. They were not carpenter bees that destroy your facia
boards. They were not yellow jackets because they make their hives in
the ground. Not the evil black with 2 yellow spots, who make the big
hanging basketball hives (I think). Could they be honey bees? They
seemed to be yellow and about honey bee size.
Could they have killed the flying squirrel? Or could it be in
there dead from natural causes? Or gone entirely, thus giving a home
to the insects? I guess I could just let it be, and post a sign for
everyone to stay away. But I'd prefer to have a bird or flying
squirrel take up residence.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? (No comments on flame-throwers,
please.)
Kira