Old 18-05-2003, 03:08 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default [off-topic] What is the function of the avocado fruit?

"Gyve Turquoise" wrote:

My possibly mistaken guess is that fruits such as strawberries and
blackberries spread the seeds of the plant via bird droppings. Can anyone
answer my crazy question about the fruit of the avocado? What is it for? How
is the seed propagated in the wild? What is the fruit for?

(Excuse me for asking something slightly off topic.)

I'm guessing you mean, biologically, why grow the avocado fruit, what
advantage in nature does it give the plant?

What is the prevailing reasoning why any plants wrap their seeds in
attractive sweet edible fruits? Is the common thinking that seeds
survive digestive tracts and are carried to a new place?

I found this fact interesting from
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html:
"Seeds may sprout within an avocado when it is over-mature" they can
actually sprout inside the fruit.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)