Old 18-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Martin Richards

Default Silver birch in front garden - trim it while I can?

/lurk

Hi all,

I know this is not stricly uk.rec.arboriculture, but following on from the
domain names for tree surgeons thread...

Our house is one of three sharing a drive from the road. The drive crosses
the front of the houses, so with the width of the drive and parking, I guess
the opposite fence is about 30 feet from the front of the house. When we
moved in, growing against this fence there was a small silver birch, perhaps
8-10 feet high from memory. Five years on, it's now got to be heading for
25-30 feet.

At the moment, it looks really nice and doesn't cause any problems. But
seeing some silver birches near my parents' house that are I guess heading
for 40 years and 50-60 feet, I do wonder just how big this thing is going to
grow...

So what's the advice from the group? Leave it to look loveley, and hope it
doesn't start to make inroads on the drive (let alone the foundations)? Get
someone in to trim it back a bit? Or copper nails at dawn...?

Thanks

Martin
~~~
anti-spam: no .dot!