Old 18-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Anthony E Anson

Default Silver birch in front garden - trim it while I can?

The message
from "Martin Richards" contains these words:

At the moment, it looks really nice and doesn't cause any problems. But
seeing some silver birches near my parents' house that are I guess heading
for 40 years and 50-60 feet, I do wonder just how big this thing is going to
grow...

Usually doesn't tend to grow much above 60' and doesn't tend to shed
branches unexpectedly, though I'd worry if you aren't in a fairly
sheltered location and it is to the west or south-west of the houses as
the weather presently does seem to be getting windier.

So what's the advice from the group? Leave it to look loveley, and hope it
doesn't start to make inroads on the drive (let alone the foundations)? Get
someone in to trim it back a bit? Or copper nails at dawn...?

The roots of silver birch aren't a problem at that distance, unlike
willow and poplar, and it's unlikely to begin sprouting new branches at
a low level. From your description of its position, I'd leave it there.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi