Old 18-05-2003, 03:56 PM
K Barrett

Default Miltoniopsis

I kill a lot of them too. Folks I know say higher light, the leaves should
be light green, but the ones I see come in to the judging center have lush
green leaves.... so go figure. I think the key is evenly moist but not
soggy. I think its also do not over pot. The ones I have are Ivan Komoda's
Hawaiian ones. I keep them closer to the swampcooler, but as I write this I
wonder why I'm doing that since he says his are more warm tolerant (but that
does not mean warm liking so maybe I'm doing OK.) I have a heck of a time
keeping roots on mine, which is incredible since I'm the worst under-waterer
on this group. Any input on potting medium would be helpful. I have mine in
chunky peat which (obviously) is too moist for them, doesn't give them
support, but I understand they like a more acid medium so that's why I chose
peat....

This whole idea of using an acidic medium may be a fallacy anyway since we
fert with an acid solution, no?

sigh. I'm waiting for the coffee to kick in.

K Barrett
"tbell" wrote in message
Don't hear much about these in the newsgroups, but I've killed a

couple,
and have one now that I've managed to keep alive with moderate water, at
some
distance from my fluorescents so that it doesn't bleach out. I'd sure like
see it bloom again, if anyone has any secrets to share.
Tom