Old 18-05-2003, 03:56 PM
SlimFlem

Default growing Red Lotus

thanks for the info Leigh, i'll keep the group updated.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
....they had
some Red Tiger Lotus for $19.99, but they were very tiny with very small
leaves.

Man, that's steep. They probably paid $2 each, if that.

I couldn't resist that so I took it. It has about 6 slightly larger than
thumbnail size leaves and it DOES have a tubular. Since it has a

tubular,
doesn't this mean it can produce runners and baby plants?

Even without a tuber, they can produce runners and baby plants. As long

you
have enough light and nutrients for them, they will reproduce like crazy.

I've
given away dozens. As long as the plant has healthy roots and is of

reasonable
size, it's fine.

I am hoping this little guy will establish
itself and grow nicely and eventually look like LeighMo's Tiger Lotus!

It probably will. It's going to take over the tank, mark my words!

Oh, should the tubular be under or above the florite bed? It was hard to
plant without damaging it since it's so small. The tubular is kinda half
under and half above the substrate.

That's good. The tuber stores food for the plant. Once it's used up, it

may
rot and fall off. Don't worry, that doesn't mean the plant is dying.

Tiger lotus leaves don't last long. It's normal for older leaves to die

off.
As long as new ones are growing in, it's okay.

The leaves will get bigger and bigger, until they eventually reach the

surface.
It's best to cut off any leaves that are heading for the surface before

they
get there. That encourages the plant to put out more underwater leaves.

If
you allow the plant to produce surface leaves, that's all it will grow,

and it
will soon shade out the other plants in the tank.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Leigh