Old 18-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Hope Munro Smith

Default Lucky bamboo at Hong Kong market

In article ,
G a e X a v i er wrote:

The top died off of one of my little canes and I cut the brown part off
at a segment, but have no leaf there. Do you have any secrets about
getting them to take root and sprout leaves.

A pinch of fertilizer maybe? Kind? Thanks. Gae

Ok, here are some tips I've found online:

The Lucky Bamboo is a distinctive and beautiful tropical plant that has
naked branches ending in tufts of sword-shaped leaves. Its stalk won't
grow any taller once cut, as it's the leaves of the plant that grow and
slowly develop into stalks themselves. Once a leaf has developed into a
stalk, it can be clipped at its base -- where it was sprouted -- and
placed in distilled water to start more bamboo.

The "parent" stalk in turn produces more little leaf sprouts. If a piece
of Lucky Bamboo starts turning yellow, clip below the infected area or
above, as it may start from the bottom. Then simply discard that portion
of the yellow stalk. Because it is relatively long-lived and easy to
care for, the Lucky Bamboo is a great low-maintenance, high-value gift
idea!

---

So it sounds like another leaf will grow in the place of the old one.
I've noticed they do grow pretty slowly. Last year one did turn
yellow and mushy -- the advice I got was to throw it away, which is what
I did.

As for roots, I don't thinks it's a problem if they grow slowly.
Another site recommended changing the water by putting the container
under the faucet and running out the old water, as opposed to disturbing
the plants every time. You *are* keeping them in water, not soil?