Old 18-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Silver birch in front garden - trim it while I can?

In article ,
Pete The Gardener wrote:

As Anthony says, the tree is unlikely to pose a problem to the house
at that distance, however if the drains run under the drive the roots
could be a problem if there's a slight leak. Birch love moist
conditions and the roots will seek out any leaks and can block the
drains if they're not in good order. If the drains are fairly new, or
generally in good condition, then I wouldn't worry, otherwise I'd keep
an eye on the situation just incase.

Forget under the drive - a birch's roots will find a leak in the drains
the other side of the house! They are even worse than willows.

Otherwise, I agree. They are a very stable tree, cast a light shade,
don't drop a thick carpet of leaves, and don't drop branches. Which
is why they are so popular.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.