Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Brian Mitchell

Default Can trees learn?

On Fri, 16 May 2003 20:47:03 -0700, mhagen wrote:

Welcome to the group!...

Aside from that wail of despair, I doubt I have anything to contribute
to a discussion among real foresters, but thank you.

. . . Not being familiar with your actual site and
conditions, I'd guess that maybe you got offsite stock and had bad luck
with the weather - a common occurrance anywhere you depend on nurseries.
Try to get stock from local seed whenever possible. Usually really
off-site stuff doesn't die for several years.

It was nursery stock, and not from the immediate area, but from a
nursery a couple of hundred miles further north, which I would have
thought might have added a further hardiness factor, but maybe not.

The damage seems not to be total; a setback rather than a massacre.
Your last sentence sounds a bit ominous. Are you saying that really
of-site stuff does eventually die off? I do hope not. If the Forestry
Commission come round in 3 years --which they will-- and find no
trees, I believe they're empowered to transport me to the Colonies :-)

BM

There was a an active group of primarily UK foresters around a few years
ago. The association of online foresters or some such - Does anyone know
if Nick's web page still up?
Mike H.