Old 18-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Pam Rudd

Default Lettuce tastes nasty

When last we left our heros, on Sun, 18 May 2003 19:58:22 +0900,
"Gyve Turquoise" scribbled:

I've tried growing lettuces several times but they always taste quite
bitter. What is the secret of growing good lettuce? My soil is clay of pH
about 7.0 and I usually fertilise with poultry manure and chemical
fertiliser.

What zone are you in? In my zone 7/8 yard, I grow lettuce as a
cool season crop. If we hadn't had such a cool spring, I would
have already had to pull most of it up. As it is, I'm still
enjoying lettuce and dill, but they'll both bolt during the first
heat wave.

Pam
"ElissaAnn"