Old 18-05-2003, 11:32 PM

Default Spinach and Sweet Corn

On Sun, 18 May 2003 10:25:03 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

On the sweetcorn side, last year I grew minipop cos I love mini sweetcorn
and I got about 60% germination of the seed inside the conservatory. This
year, after getting a £10 heated propagator from B&Q (same as the £16 one
but without the seed trays and capillary matting so much better value!) and
some roottrainers, I've got 100% germination with Ovation (supersweet) and
in the three (!) days since I planted the Minipop, 7/12 appeared over last
night. So I definitely recommend bottom heat!

I sowed 52 seeds of 'incredible' indoors in toilet roll tubes with no
extra heat and got 100% germination. A couple are a bit weedy though
and may not end up being planted out if I'm short of space.

There's a bit of mould on the outside of the cardboard tubes but I'm
assuming that this is not going to cause any problems (not much I can
do about it anyway!).
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk