Old 19-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim Webster

Default Co-operative buyers

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

yes, it bides thinking about, store the beef for them.
They would have to buy it up front really. The problem would come

with
delivery/collection. I tend to drive a maximum of about 30 miles to
dispose of all a bullock, and that is on a bad day, normally I will

do
about six milees. If we have people coming for a couple of pounds or
worse still expecting me to deliver it, you are talking about using a
couple of pounds worth of fuel for a couple of pounds worth of meat.
I would prefer to encourage them to put a freezer in of their own,

but
with small houses this can be a bit daunting for people.

It's a co-op.

They pay in 5/week to co-own a bullock and get X lbs of meat a month.

I cannot see them wanting the hassle. I have had people buy one from me
for co-operative butching and have sworn never again because everyone
wants that bit and no one wants that bit and someone takes a huff and
walks out which means they have to split it 7 ways not eight and george
doesn't like stewing beef, Anne will not have brisket under any
circumstances and it is probably lucky that the butcher cut it up as no
one is standing there with a sharp knife. .
One advantage of my system is they only ever see their box. The butcher
fills the boxes so even I just assume they are all equal.
My worry is that they would all want their steak and roasts and then I
am left with their stewing beef and mince and them whinging that they
were sure that had some more roast left.
Put the meat in their freezer and they can do what they damned well like
with it.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be

accepted.