Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Tim Lamb

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

In article , Torsten Brinch
writes
"The Times could see what could come after so why couldn't the farmers'
Does this not imply shortsightedness?

No, it's an expression of my disbelief, that the farmers could not
see the same as The Times could see.

Or perhaps, as has been said, they saw it but were not in a position to
do very much. You have interpreted inaction and subsequent whinging as
lack of foresight when it might have been a rugged determination to see
the thing through.

Goodbye.

If I may make an observation, before you must leave, I think what we
have experienced is a clash of cultures. My culture is one of fixing
problems, your culture seems to be one in which fixing blame is
imperative. Perhaps if we both keep that difference in mind we will
leave less room for future misunderstanding.

The UK is not known for the value of it's agricultural exports, unlike
America and some others. In consequence, Government encouragement is
rather lukewarm and *fixing* left to the individual farmer. That so many
are still in business may be a mark of their achievement.

regards

--
Tim Lamb