Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:01:56 +0000 (GMT),
("David G. Bell") wrote:

One of the problems is that it makes sense for the individual to sell up
and get out of farming. But if everyone does the same the markets for
land and surplus farm machinery, and all the other assets of the farming
business, will collapse. And nobody gets anything.

I don't think it makes sense for any individual farmer to sell up and
get out of farming -- I consider it a reasonable assumption that UK
will also be farmed in 10, 20 or 30 years from now on. Iow, some will
make a living from it. The problem would seem to me to be, that to the
extent land left idle from one set of managing hands cannot be taken
over smoothly by another set of managing hands, land values will come
under pressure, and people will get hurt.

The current land prices, from what I hear, are not all that stable.
Some of the big estate agency companies are admitting that not a lot of
land is actually selling.

Some of the not actually selling land may genuinely not have a buyer,
but more likely it's not selling, because the owner holds it in too
high value. I think it would be correct to say, the outlook for
further increases in land values in the foreseeable future is not
fair.