Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

Gordon Couger wrote in message
we have smallholders and I don't think that there is any government
outreach to them. They can get drawn into the net of paperwork and

form
filling but will probably not get much in the way of support

payments.
=====================
There is not much paper work over here. If you go off the program it's

no
big deal. Progams only cover small grains, cotton beans, corn, feed

grains
peants and few more. Fruits, vetgables and such are not under any kind

of
price support. Some cattlmen have nothing to do with govement programs
except the disease programs.

every bovine animal has to have two ear tags, its passport, every
movement off one holding onto another has to be reported. Even Zoos have
to do this.

round here we have a lot of contractors, more small farmers, farmers
sons or similar who have a tractor, slurry tanker, round baler and
wrapper, etc. Some will do mowing, ploughing etc. There are outfits

who
can put a couple of silage teams into the field (self propelled
harvester, three tractors and trailers, a rake, two mowers and a

shovel for the pit) but these are the minority.

Where you aren't big enough to capitalize your equipment contracting

or
partnerships can make it work. The thing is if things get tough people

cut
out contractors first.

in this area, machinery purchases went first and contractors hung on in.
After all, if you are staying in business, your slurry has to be spread,
your silage has to be made, and most farms now haven't the staff to put
together a silage team even if they had the machinery.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Gordon