Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Tim Lamb

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

In article , Torsten Brinch
writes
When you said error in relation to McSharry I got to thinking of the
inability to negotiate any effective capping into the system when it
was created. Without that, the reform turned rather predictably into
an effective instrument to make big farmers outcompete the small
farmers. There was an interview with McSharry, he explained it got
that way, because the policy had to be acceptable to farmer's
organisations, e.g. NFU, which are effectively run by big farmers.

I was thinking more of the level initially set for intervention, the
sums available for export support etc.

The money might have been better used if spread less thickly at the top
but I guess the present arrangement can be defended as *fair*.

I hear the Poles are unhappy about what has been offered by way of
support payments.

regards

--
Tim Lamb