Old 19-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:17:34 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In article , David P
writes
What, are we not talking about UK farm profitability in terms of
Net Farm income?

If I owned a farm outright I would be able to calculate my profitability
quite easily - why would I need to deduct a rent that I don't pay?

I am not an accountant but I understand that published figures for
profitability often include a *rent equivalent*. This is presumably to
make comparisons easier.

Yes, and those figures would be Net Farm Income figures, those we have
been speaking from -- IMO quite appropriately for the thread, since
that measure exactly allows us to look at UK farm profitability
aggregated across tenure types.

(Since this is being cross-posted to uk.business.agriculture, it
should perhaps have been stressed from the start, that 'Net Farm
Income' does not represent the income a farmer ends up with to meet
his living expenses -- the Net Farm Income measure is not meant for,
and should certainly not be used to compare the income of farmers
with the personal earnings in other sectors of society.)