Old 19-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Vox Humana

Default Electric Box Help

"Roger Hill" wrote in message
Greetings,

We're having a new house built and our lot ended
up having an electric company power box in the front
yard. It's green and is about 2ft. wide, 3ft. long and
2.5ft. tall. If anyone has any suggestions on what to
use to cover it up, I'd appreciate it.

As others have said, there are restrictions about planting around these
boxes. That said, I have never seen anyone open one of these boxes in all
the time I have lived in my house. I think that if you do plant close to
the box you risk having the plants destroyed should the power company ever
need access to the box. In other words, you are taking a calculated risk by
obstructing the box. I doubt you would go to jail for putting a shrub in
front of the utility box. The one in front of my house has a sticker that
says you can't plant within x feet of the side that opens. There are no
restrictions about the other sides. I bet that if you pick an upscale
neighborhood to survey, you will find that everyone has planted around these
boxes. You will probably get some good ideas by doing this. Take you
camera and get pictures. I have seen lots of ornamental grasses, spirea,
vibernums, and evergreens like arborvitae and juniper planted around the
boxes.