Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:23:51 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In article , Torsten Brinch
writes
There seems to be a more immediate problem in that I am posting to
ukba *now* using current standard terms for measures of Farm Income
and noone seems to know what I am talking about.

Not enough to argue it, anyway.
If your end objective is to convince us that farmers are well rewarded
why start from an obscure accounting system.

What you write illustrates the problem very well. What is suspicious
and obscure to you, is the accounting system and the measures of farm
income of the UK national farm income statistics.

In your example, a gross turnover of 290,000 puts the operation in the
100-200ha size (my guess) and hardly representative of an average farm
business.

Well, I did try to massage the example such that it should roughly
represent the average farm (~105 ha) in your national statistics
(excl. farms with less than 8 ESUs)