Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Jill

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

"Hamish Macbeth" wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

remember the money side of it, the holidays, time off etc is now far
worse than it was ten or twenty years ago. We have seen our quality of
life go backwards

Certainly if you are unable to take breaks away that is a significant
drop.
Breaks away clear the mind and allow a detached view of work activities.
Not having them is likely to be bad for the individual and bad for the
business.

We have not had a holiday for 9 years
We both left the farm together for 3 afternoons last year
He had about 4 days away to play trains -
I had 5 days off farm to run a stand at the Royal Highland show
other days at other events
and one night away at the Scottish National Poultry show which was no
working as such
Our "breaks" are when friends come to stay when we do what is essential and
enjoy having people about.
We cannot afford to have a full time employee and when we have tried it
cannot find anyone competent enough to leave the farm with.
What is the price of farm sitters these days ? - you would be looking at
doubling the costs of a standard holiday price.
It would be great to get away but the worry of what was going on at home
would be so great that I don't think it would be very relaxing
and as we don't really have slack times it would be very difficult to pick a
time.
But we are very small and involved business like many up here
Many of our firends also have not had "holidays" as others perceive them for
years too. A few manage to get away for the odd day or two in the winter if
their business is more summer based but few can afford to spend proper
holidays as a personal expense.

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk