Old 19-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Jill

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

"Dave Roberts" wrote in message
In article nWSS9.10766$4k6.955243@wards, Jill news@REMOVETHISkintalin
e.plus.com writes
We have not had a holiday for 9 years

Sorry but I have no sympathy for this whinging whatsoever. If you don't
like your lifestyle then change it !

This is not whinging but a statement of fact
and in answer to the previous post
you decided to snip
Certainly if you are unable to take breaks away that is a significant
drop.
Breaks away clear the mind and allow a detached view of work activities.
Not having them is likely to be bad for the individual and bad for the
business.
I also spoke of others in our area who are self employed but not in farming
It was from a small business point of view I was speaking
Probably many of the farmers locally do get to have more chance of a break
as there are other "ordinary" farmers about and their sons etc to cover for
them
Many small - very small businesses are not so fortunate

I have been a self employed freelance for about 16 years, before that I
was a staff photographer on a daily paper.

When I was a staffer I worked most weekends and several nights each week
often not getting home until the small hours. It was a tough schedule
but at least I had holidays and time off during the week.

But as a freelance I had none of those benefits yet if anything the
schedule was more punishing. I had one holiday in those 16 years so your
life seems very luxurious in comparison.

When I started to get fed up with things I changed what I was doing,
simple as that.

Nobody is holding a gun at your head to make you do what you do and if
you don't like it then do something else. Pathetic whining will get you
nowhere.

Shame you cannot read as well as take photographs

It is very true that we could do something else
all farmers could and be easily employable
being so multiskilled
but then as many of the small farmers are those that look after their
environment
within the confines of available monies
what would all the "whingers" who want their pretty countryside do if we all
left!!

The other reason we are still here is that we are trying to acheive
something lasting
both with the property itself so it goes into the next 500 years in better
condition than when we took over
and with the poultry and waterfowl breeding

The most lucrative thing I cold do right now with our very high web presence
would be to become a warehouse and sell other peoples products
that and search engine optimization for others

both of which would put me in the looney bin within 6 months

However the poster to whom I was responding
Certainly if you are unable to take breaks away that is a significant
drop.
Breaks away clear the mind and allow a detached view of work activities.
Not having them is likely to be bad for the individual and bad for the
business.
does have a point
- and being able to take a break *would* be good for our health and our
business

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk